Saturday, October 6, 2007

Two Ways and the Prayer of Faith

Two of my Greek students are local pastors and one of them invited me to preach at the English service in the closest town. So I am preaching tomorrow in the town of Kainantu, Eastern Highlands Province, at the Evangelical Bible Church of Papua New Guinea.

My sermon title is "The Prayer of Faith" and I will be preaching mainly from the Letter of James.

Too often I hear Bible teaching which takes short passages out of context so that a works righteousness is emphasized. I aim to present what the Letter of James--the most works oriented writing in the New Testament--teaches about God's grace and mercy in response to prayers that reveal whole-hearted trust in him. I will present this within the context of the metaphor that our spiritual life is a journey in which we encounter two paths, the path of the wicked and the path of the righteous.

Besides the Letter of James, other scripture texts that will be included are Proverbs 2:1-15; 3:5-6; Psalm 1; 5:7-8; Isaiah 30:11, 15, 18; John 14:6; Luke 22:42; Hebrews 11:32-40.

No comments: